My UCAR Staff Directory webpage
Jared A. Lee
Project Scientist II
Research Applications Laboratory
National Center for Atmospheric Research
Jared Lee is a Project Scientist II at the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, Colorado. He earned a Ph.D. in meteorology from Penn State University (2012), an M.S. in meteorology from Penn State University (2007), and a B.A. cum laude in physics from Gustavus Adolphus College (2005). After earning his doctorate, Jared was a National Research Council Research Associate at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California, from Oct 2012 through Sep 2013, and a Postdoc Researcher at NCAR from Oct 2013 through May 2014. In May 2014 Jared became a Project Scientist I in the Research Applications Laboratory at NCAR, and was promoted to a Project Scientist II in Feb 2018. Jared’s research interests include numerical weather prediction, ensemble prediction, ensemble configuration, wind/solar energy forecasting, surface transportation/road weather, cloud microphysics, boundary layer meteorology, air quality/atmospheric transport & dispersion forecasting, and atmospheric data assimilation.
Jared has been married to his wife Karen since 2013, and they have two children.
- Ph.D., Meteorology — The Pennsylvania State University (Aug 2012)
- M.S., Meteorology — The Pennsylvania State University (Aug 2007)
- B.A., cum laude, Physics — Gustavus Adolphus College (May 2005)
- Haupt, S. E., B. Kosović, J. A. Lee, and P. A. Jiménez, 2019: Mesoscale modeling of the atmosphere. In: Veers, P. (Ed.), Wind power modelling: Atmosphere and wind plant flow. IET Publishing, Stevenage, UK, in press (expected release 26 Jun 2019).
- Jiménez, P. A., J. A. Lee, S. E. Haupt, and B. Kosović, 2019: Solar resource evaluation with numerical weather prediction models. In: J. Polo et al. (Eds.), Solar resources mapping: Fundamentals and applications. Green Energy and Technology, Springer Nature, Cham, Switzerland, 367 pp., https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-97484-2_7.
- Haupt, S. E., P. A. Jiménez, J. A. Lee, and B. Kosović, 2017: Principles of meteorology and numerical weather prediction. In: Kariniotakis, G. (Ed.), Renewable energy forecasting: From models to applications. Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, MA, 373 pp., https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-08-100504-0.00001-9.
- Siems-Anderson, A. R., J. A. Lee, B. G. Brown, G. Weiner, and S. Linden, 2019: Using connected vehicles as a source of observations for numerical weather prediction. Manuscript in preparation, to be submitted to Forecasting.
- Lee, J. A., P. Doubrawa, L. Xue, A. J. Newman, C. Draxl, and G. Scott, 2019: Wind resource assessment for Alaska’s offshore regions: Validation of a 14-year high-resolution WRF data set. Energy, submitted 13 Nov 2018.
- Mitchell, M. J., B. Ancell, J. A. Lee, and N. Smith, 2019: Development of statistical post-processing techniques for improved low-level wind speed forecasts in West Texas. Forecasting, conditionally accepted and in revision.
- Kumar, R., J. A. Lee, L. Delle Monache, and S. Alessandrini, 2019: Effect of meteorological variability on fine particulate matter simulations over the contiguous United States. Geophys. Res. Atmos., conditionally accepted and in revision.
- Haupt, S. E., B. Kosović, T. Jensen, J. K. Lazo, J. A. Lee, P. A. Jiménez, J. Cowie, G. Weiner, T. C. McCandless, M. Rogers, S. Miller, M. Sengupta, Y. Xie, L. Hinkelman, P. Kalb, and J. Heiser, 2018: Building the Sun4Cast system: Improvements in solar power forecasting. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 99, 121–136, https://doi.org/10.1175/BAMS-D-16-0221.1.
- Lee, J. A., S. E. Haupt, P. A. Jiménez, M. A. Rogers, S. D. Miller, and T. C. McCandless, 2017: Solar irradiance nowcasting case studies near Sacramento. Appl. Meteor. Climatol., 56, 85–108, https://doi.org/10.1175/JAMC-D-16-0183.1.
- Lee, J. A., J. P. Hacker, L. Delle Monache, B. Kosović, A. Clifton, F. Vandenberghe, and J. Sanz Rodrigo, 2017: Improving wind predictions in the marine atmospheric boundary layer through parameter estimation in a single column model. Wea. Rev., 145, 5–24, https://doi.org/10.1175/MWR-D-16-0063.1.
- Jiménez, P. A., S. Alessandrini, S. E. Haupt, A. Deng, B. Kosović, J. A. Lee, and L. Delle Monache, 2016: The role of unresolved clouds on short-range global horizontal irradiance predictability. Wea. Rev., 144, 3099–3107, https://doi.org/10.1175/MWR-D-16-0104.1.
- Lee, J. A., S. E. Haupt, and G. S. Young, 2016: Down-selecting numerical weather prediction multi-physics ensembles with hierarchical cluster analysis. Climatol. Wea. Forecast., 4, 156, https://doi.org/10.4172/2332-2594.1000156.
- Reen, B. P., K. J. Schmehl, G. S. Young, J. A. Lee, S. E. Haupt, and D. R. Stauffer, 2014: Uncertainty in contaminant concentration fields resulting from uncertainty in the planetary boundary layer depth. Appl. Meteor. Climatol., 53, 2610–2626, https://doi.org/10.1175/JAMC-D-13-0262.1.
- Lee, J. A., W. C. Kolczynski, T. C. McCandless, and S. E. Haupt, 2012: An objective methodology for configuring and down-selecting an NWP ensemble for low-level wind prediction. Wea. Rev., 140, 2270–2286, https://doi.org/10.1175/MWR-D-11-00065.1.
- Peltier, L. J., S. E. Haupt, J. C. Wyngaard, D. R. Stauffer, A. Deng, J. A. Lee, K. J. Long, and A. J. Annunzio, 2010: Parameterizing mesoscale wind uncertainty for dispersion modeling. Appl. Meteor. Climatol., 49, 1604–1614, https://doi.org/10.1175/2010JAMC2396.1.
- Lee, J. A., L. J. Peltier, S. E. Haupt, J. C. Wyngaard, D. R. Stauffer, and A. Deng, 2009: Improving SCIPUFF dispersion forecasts with NWP ensembles. Appl. Meteor. Climatol., 48, 2305–2319, https://doi.org/10.1175/2009JAMC2171.1.
Technical Notes and Reports:
- Jacobson, M., C. Draxl, T. Jimenez, B. O’Neill, T. Capozzola, J. A. Lee, F. Vandenberghe, and S. E. Haupt, 2018: Assessing the wind energy potential in Bangladesh. NREL Tech. Report NREL/TP-5000-71077, 136 pp., https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy18osti/71077.pdf.
- Haupt, S. E., B. Kosovic, T. Jensen, J. A. Lee, P. A. Jiménez, and Coauthors, 2016: The SunCastTM Solar Power Forecasting System: The results of the Public-Private-Academic Partnership to Advance Solar Power Forecasting. NCAR Tech. Note NCAR/TN-526+STR, 307 pp., https://doi.org/10.5065/D6N58JR2.
- Lee, J. A., 2012: Techniques for down-selecting numerical weather prediction ensembles. Ph.D. dissertation, The Pennsylvania State University, 131 pp., https://doi.org/10.13140/RG.2.2.29268.81280.
- Lee, J. A., 2007: Improving predictions of contaminant dispersion with SCIPUFF using meteorological ensemble uncertainty. M.S. thesis, The Pennsylvania State University, 129 pp.
Select Recent Conference Presentations (presenter in bold):
- Lee, J. A., M. Jacobson, T. Capozzola, C. Draxl, F. Vandenberghe, T. Jimenez, and S. E. Haupt, 2019: Assessment of the wind energy potential in Bangladesh. 10th Conf. on Weather, Climate, and the New Energy Economy, Phoenix, AZ, Amer. Meteor. Soc., 9.2, https://ams.confex.com/ams/2019Annual/meetingapp.cgi/Paper/353210.
- Lee, J. A., S. Dettling, S. E. Haupt, and T. Brummet, 2019: Advancing solar irradiance nowcasts on Long Island: Blending WRF-Solar with observations. 10th Conf. on Weather, Climate, and the New Energy Economy, Phoenix, AZ, Amer. Meteor. Soc., 4.2, https://ams.confex.com/ams/2019Annual/meetingapp.cgi/Paper/353194.
- Lee, J. A., M. Barlage, and G. Thompson, 2018: Impacts of background albedo dataset on WRF model simulations. 25th Conf. on Numerical Weather Prediction, Denver, CO, Amer. Meteor. Soc., 9B.2, https://ams.confex.com/ams/29WAF25NWP/webprogram/Paper344761.html.
- Lee, J. A., R. Kumar, L. Delle Monache, S. Alessandrini, and P. Lee, 2018: A novel ensemble design for probabilistic predictions of PM2.5 for the NAQFC. 20th Joint Conf. on the Applications of Air Pollution Meteorology with the A&WMA, Austin, TX, Amer. Meteor. Soc., 9.3, https://ams.confex.com/ams/98Annual/webprogram/Paper324799.html.
- Lee, J. A., L. Xue, A. J. Newman, A. J. Monaghan, P. Doubrawa, C. Draxl, L. Kilcher, and G. Scott, 2018: Validation of a 14-year high-resolution WRF dataset for wind resource assessment over Alaska. 9th Conf. on Weather, Climate, and the New Energy Economy, Austin, TX, Amer. Meteor. Soc., 1.3, https://ams.confex.com/ams/98Annual/webprogram/Paper327317.html.
- Lee, J. A., R. Kumar, L. Delle Monache, S. Alessandrini, and P. Lee, 2017: Probabilistic predictions of PM2.5 using a novel ensemble design for the NAQFC. AGU Fall Meeting 2017, New Orleans, LA, Amer. Geophys. Union, A33L-06, https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/meetingapp.cgi/Paper/216082.
- Brasseur, J. G., A. W. Lavely, T. Nandi, G. Vijayakumar, B. Jayaraman, S. E. Haupt, J. A. Lee, and J. Keller, 2017: Wind turbine response across scales: Simulation and experiment. Int. Conf. for Future Technologies in Wind Energy (WindTech 2017), Boulder, CO, http://windtechconferences.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Brasseur-James-Abstract.pdf.
- Lee, J. A., T. Eidhammer, and G. Thompson, 2017: Addressing a high-altitude cirrus deficit in the Thompson & Eidhammer aerosol-aware microphysics scheme. 28th Conf. on Weather Analysis and Forecasting / 24th Conf. on Numerical Weather Prediction, Seattle, WA, Amer. Meteor. Soc., 4B.1, https://ams.confex.com/ams/97Annual/webprogram/Paper313156.html.
- Vigh, J. L., C. M. Ammann, J. A. Lee, and P. Naveau, 2017: The NCAR Climate Risk Management Engine (CRMe). 12th Symp. on Societal Applications: Policy, Research, and Practice, Seattle, WA, Amer. Meteor. Soc., 3.5, https://ams.confex.com/ams/97Annual/webprogram/Paper315972.html.
- Hacker, J., R. Lorente-Plazas, N. Collins, and J. A. Lee, 2017: An approach to reduce systematic representativeness errors of surface observations in ensemble data assimilation. 21st Conf. on Integrated Observing and Assimilation Systems for the Atmosphere, Oceans, and Land Surface, Seattle, WA, Amer. Meteor. Soc., 4.2, https://ams.confex.com/ams/97Annual/webprogram/Paper309206.html.
Seminars and Other Presentations:
- “Validation and modeling results.” Technical presentation at the Results Sharing Workshop for the USAID/NREL Bangladesh Wind Resource Mapping Project, Dhaka, Bangladesh, 30 May 2018.
- “SunCast case studies near Sacramento.” Presentation at the NCAR/RAL Retreat, Boulder, CO, 7 Dec 2015.
- “From ‘The Hill’ to the Foothills: My early career as an atmospheric scientist.” Invited seminar, Gustavus Adolphus College Sigma Pi Sigma Induction Banquet, Saint Peter, MN, 4 May 2015.
- “What Do Atmospheric Scientists Do? An Overview of Research at NCAR.” Presentation given at the Arvada Estates retirement home for World Meteorological Day, Arvada, CO, 22 Mar 2014.
- “Exploring Techniques for Down-selecting NWP Ensembles.” Seminar given at the National Center for Atmospheric Research, Research Applications Laboratory, Boulder, CO, 20 Sep 2012.
- “Exploring Techniques for Down-selecting NWP Ensembles.” Seminar given at Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, 6 Sep 2012.
- “Down-Selection of NWP Ensemble Configurations.” Seminar given at The Centre for Australian Weather and Climate Research, Docklands, VIC, Australia, 12 Aug 2010.
- “Down-Selection of NWP Ensemble Configurations.” Seminar given at The University of Melbourne, Parkville, VIC, Australia, 11 Aug 2010.
- “Down-Selection of NWP Ensemble Configurations.” Seminar given at Monash University, Clayton, VIC, Australia, 6 Aug 2010.
- “Quantifying Uncertainty for a Numerical Weather Prediction Ensemble.” Seminar given at PSU Applied Research Lab/Garfield Thomas Water Tunnel, University Park, PA, 30 Jul 2010.
- Research presentation to Maj. Gen. Randy Manner (Deputy Director, Defense Threat Reduction Agency) and Ms. Joan Pierre (Director, Defense Threat Reduction Agency Basic and Applied Sciences Directorate), University Park, PA, 23 Oct 2009.
Select Awards and Scholarships:
- 2018 Cumberland High School Graduate of Achievement, Cumberland, WI
- 2017 Utility Variable-Generation Integration Group (UVIG) Award for Major Contributions in Advancing State-of-the-Art Solar Energy Forecasting, team member, Sun4Cast Solar Power Forecasting System
- 2016 NCAR Research Applications Laboratory Scientific & Technical Achievement Award, team member, Sun4Cast Solar Power Forecasting System.
- Nominated for Gustavus Adolphus College First Decade Award for early career achievement, awarded to one male and one female annually. Nominated in Oct 2014.
- National Research Council Research Associateship Award. Postdoctoral research fellowship at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, California, 22 Oct 2012 – 25 Sep 2013.
- NSF Student Travel Fellowship/NCAR Field Student Position to participate in the DYNAMO (Dynamics of the Madden-Julian Oscillation) field project as a student assistant for sounding operations on the Indian Ocean island of Diego Garcia, 25 Oct – 23 Nov 2011.
- Exploratory & Foundational Program Fellowship, Penn State University Applied Research Laboratory, Jan 2008 – May 2011.
- Best Overall Presentation, 16th Conference on Air Pollution Meteorology at the 90th AMS Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, 18–21 Jan 2010.
- Third Place Student Oral Presentation, 11th Conference on Atmospheric Chemistry at the 89th AMS Annual Meeting, Phoenix, AZ, 11–15 Jan 2009.
- Bellware, D., and Dr. Richard Gardiner, 2014: The Genesis of the Memorial Day Holiday in America. Columbus State University, Columbus, GA, 194 pp. [Photo by Jared Lee on p. 113, of a Memorial Day sign in Boalsburg, PA.]
- Photos of a railroad tie fire in Longmont, CO, published by 9News Denver, both on television and the Internet. 16 Apr 2014. News story available at: http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2014/04/16/railroad-tie-fire-visible-from-i-25/7805763/.
- Franck, Karen A., and Teresa von Sommaruga Howard, 2010: Design through Dialogue: A Guide for Clients and Architects. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., Chichester, West Sussex, United Kingdom. 208 pp. [Photos by Jared Lee on pp. 176 and 194, of Te Papa Tongarewa (The National Museum of New Zealand), located in Wellington, NZ.]
- Seven seconds of footage by Jared Lee from a sporting event was used in a 30-second PSA for Big Ten Conference Men’s Basketball entitled “Magic Number.” This PSA aired during television broadcasts of Big Ten games throughout the 2009-10 basketball season on multiple networks. The PSA can be viewed at this URL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5oZ3wMAvtY